Deputy General Manager
Location: Site based at Templeborough Biomass Power Plant, Rotherham
Hours: 37 hours per week
Reports to: General Manager
Eco2 Management Services Limited (EMSL) provides asset management services to over 220MW of renewable assets in the UK with turnover next year expected to be in excess of £2.5 million. Our background as developers and asset owners is important and we pride ourselves not only in the industry leading expertise we offer, but also the long-standing nature of our relationships with large organisations such as IKEA, Glennmont Partners, PIP, CIP and Greencoat.
As a forward thinking business, we understand the importance of living by a set of core values and pride ourselves on the fact that all our staff are united in these. If you resonate with our values and you want to be part of a successful, industry leading organisation, have the relevant experience and skills then we want to hear from you.
- Trust; in each other and earned from our clients, we are a safe pair of hands.
- Teamwork; being there for one another and working in partnership with our clients.
- Responsibility; taking ownership of tasks and challenges to find the right timely solution.
- Quality; we always want to be the very best version of ourselves, with robust systems and procedures providing a quality product and service on a consistent basis.
- Creativity; utilising an inherent developer’s zeal, we always look for creative solutions and opportunities to add value for our clients.
Purpose of Role
EMSL oversees the commercial and technical performance of Templeborough Biomass Power Plant on behalf of its owner (Greencoat Capital). EMSL has a site team, led by the General Manager, which ensures that key contracts such as the Fuel Supply Agreement, O&M Contract, Power Purchase Agreement and other offtake arrangements are correctly administered and the team liaises with all contractual counter parties in that regard.
A key element of this work is oversight of the O&M Contractor at the site. This requires a good understanding of power station operation, maintenance, health & safety and environmental issues.
The Deputy General Manager can be expected to lead on other ad-hoc capital or commercial projects that will enhance plant operations. Current examples include the construction of a new contractors’ compound, redevelopment of a fuels laboratory and feasibility studies for district heating.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To work closely with the Plant Manager/General Manager and supporting the O&M contractor on side, including power station operation, maintenance, health and safety and environmental issues
- Monitoring key plant performance data and secondary contractual obligations (e.g. spares management)
- The Deputy General Manager can be expected to lead on other ad-hoc capital or commercial projects that will enhance plant operations
- Provide leadership in safety throughout the company’s business, supporting the O&M Contractor, Fuel Supplier and other site-based Contractors to establish industry leading safe systems of work and safety culture through commissioning and into operations and then to constantly improve on these through the operational phase of the project
- Assist the Contracts Manager in ensuring that there is a highly effective system for receiving, checking, weighing and sampling of around 50 loads per day of wood chip using the employer’s fuel team
- Working with the General Manager, discharge of the employer’s accountabilities under the main plant contracts (including the O&M Contract, the Fuel Supply Agreement and the Ash Removal Contract), the Grid Connection Agreement and the Permits and co-ordinate the activities of the O&M Contractor, the Fuel Supplier and MGEL’s other main Contractors
- Encourage, monitor and support performance initiatives by the O&M Contractor and ensure its compliance with the O&M Contract and continuous improvement
- Monitor and encourage the discharge of the long term capital improvements at the plant, to be commissioned directly on behalf of the owner or via variations to the O&M Contract
- Maintain relationships with the plant’s other key stakeholders including Ofgem, the Environment Agency, the network operator, Insurers and Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council. Where relevant, support the O&M Contractor in establishing and managing their relationship with these same key stakeholders
- Ensure that an on-site fuel testing laboratory works safely and reliably
- Ensure high standards of record-keeping. Analyse performance and financial data so that this can be disseminated effectively to the plant owners in reports and at Board meetings
- Support companies Finance Manager as required in assessing the financial impacts of technical decisions and issues
- Deputise for the General Manager during periods of absence
Qualifications & Education:
- At least 5 years’ experience of large scale process plant operation, ideally power generation
- Experience of managing complex contracts with sophisticated counterparties
- Track record of partnering with contractors to deliver a high performing, joined up organisation with shared vision and objectives and of driving business performance improvements through the activities of contractors
- Exceptional organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and multi-task in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Strong relationship management, interpersonal and networking skills, a proactive and co-operative way of working and well developed political antenna
- Professional demeanour with the ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English
- Good team player with a desire to work in a diverse international team